I told myself I was just going to make a few blocks for the HeartStrings Project Pink. I decided I could make some blocks while I’m at Mom’s and them mail them off to Jennifer who’s going to coordinate this project for us. But then I thought wouldn’t it be nice if we did pink blocks at the October sew-in and I came back with a couple tops to quilt.
So today, I started cutting some pink and white strips. I’ll pull some pink strings to add to them and I have a feeling I’ll make at least one quilt myself even though those Chinese Coins are still calling my name! I just can’t resist these special projects.
I’m heading to Key West in the morning – I may not post until I get back next week (although Keith is taking his laptop so we’ll see!)
I don’t know why it took me so long to finish up this one! I wanted this quilt to be a little less square so since I was watching Ricky Tim’s Caveman Quilting DVD, I decided to add some of his *dancing squares*. I was so tempted to add a bottom border too but since I’m trying to let go of my symmetric tendencies I just added the one border.
This will be another HeartStrings
donation quilt and I think it will be quilted with my Swirls template from Circle Lord
Did I mention quick in my last post?
I was rummaging through a bin tonight and came across 7 crazy quilt blocks – a very old UFO. Since I’m certain I won’t ever finish this as a regular size quilt I’ve decided I’ll use 6 of them and make a doll quilt. These small quilts are turning in to the perfect way to finish a few UFO’s and try new techniques on a small scale (I have a Hawaiian doll quilt planned too).
I have an extensive book library so I just so happened to have a book on embroidery stitches for crazy quilts – I knew I was going to need that book one day!
This book, A Passion for Patchwork has some seriously cute patterns in it. I can’t remember for sure but I think I picked it up at B&N or Borders on a clearance table (maybe a couple years ago) and it was the inspiration for my current doll quilt.
Unfortunately, I think I would have done better to have quilted this on my sewing machine because hand quilting this grid isn’t going to give the same definition that machine quilting it would. I should have realized that before starting but I was eager for another hand quilting project and just rushed into it.
I ordered a TOWA tension gauge for my longarm which arrived Saturday. I’m hoping it will help me set the tension on the machine without having to play with it so much. Today’s quilt wasn’t much of a test since it had a flannel back which always helps with tension as there’s a thicker quilt sandwich for the stitches to hide in.
After testing the bobbin with the guage, I only had one small adjustment to the top tension and everything was good! This is a donation quilt that will go to my Mom’s church – Mom and I pieced this top on my visit to VA in May. It’s quilted with a pantograph – Popcorn from Willow Leaf Studio.
I’m also making slow progress on the String hearts. The light wasn’t the best but I thought I’d share a photo anyway.
I finished the binding and labeling on this quilt the other night. It’s a HeartStrings Purple Project quilt that will be donated.
I used my favorite pieced backing – an off center 4 patch and used the new HeartStrings label.
You guys are great! Thanks for all the compliments, I’m really trying to listen to your comments and be less critical. Hopefully, less criticism from myself will leave me more open to venturing beyond my comfort zone and to trying more challenging quilt designs.
Keith came home this afternoon and we spent the day and evening together – I feel very blessed these days.
Another finish and I’m going to be kind to myself and not pick it apart. I started writing this by describing what I didn’t like about my quilting on this top. But you know, it’s done and it looks pretty good.