So what’s on your design wall this week? Share the link at Judy’s site
I’ve been asking Keith for shelving units in the garage that I can put storage bins on and while these aren’t the built in ones I’d really like, it’s nice to actually have this stuff a little better organized — I even have empty bins so I can move some of the other stuff I don’t have room for out there.
Yesterday I attended a HeartStrings sew-in held in Roberts, WI. We had the best time and got a lot accomplished! I pulled out some of the Chinese Coins I still had from a previous HeartStrings project and worked on assembling this top (still needs the top borders). I used the Easy version posted on my site.
Kathy and Rhonda worked on our new Diamond String blocks and others worked on our regular HeartStrings blocks.
But most of the people attending worked on assembling Happy Blocks. Carol even took the rest of the blocks home to finish assembling them into tops and I brought two of these home with me to quilt — the blue and the pink & green ones in the front.
You can see some other photos from our day in this Picasa album.
I’d intended to finish up the last 16 string blocks I need for my current project but woke up feeling like I needed to focus on the quilts needing bindings. So I sorted, and trimmed, cut and made binding, and machine stitched it on a couple quilts and now things are under control.
Of the 9 quilts here:
- 2 were set aside to be sent to Maine for binding and donating
- 3 were trimmed, binding was cut, and they’re set aside for me to take to the sew-in tomorrow. Sheree has come to my rescue again and will bind these 3 for me.
- 2 got bindings made and machine stitched – these are ready for me to hand stitch now.
- That just leaves 2 in the stack that needs attention — much better than 9.
I know some people get confused when I mention machine stitching binding but just to be clear, I machine stitch all my bindings to the front of the quilt and then fold it to the back and finish it with hand stitching.
Now, I’m working on getting my stuff together for tomorrow’s HeartStrings sew-in.
You might remember this quilt from a couple months ago. It was pieced by Barbara in FL and it’s been in the binding stack – did I mention that the binding stack doesn’t seem to be getting smaller? This is the 4th one I’ve done but the pile is getting larger with all the quilts I did a couple weeks ago not smaller.
Just had to get out for a while. Dinner and coffee and the rain held
off so I didn't get wet.
He just doesn’t know what’s going on around here….I finally headed up to bed around 5PM after getting about 6 hours sleep in the last two days but woke up at 1AM. Had to get up to walk Chesty (yes in the middle of the night!) ate a bowl of cereal, cleaned out my inbox and now I’m going to check in on a few blogs and then upstairs and see if I can’t sleep a couple more hours.
In updating my MaryQuilts.com site, I’ve been searching for the perfect WordPress template that I can customize and well, it’s just not to be found so last night I downloaded a software program that allows me to build my own theme, customize it, and then upload it to WordPress.
So after setting up my site, I decided I would redesign the HeartStrings site — only that one is hosted on Yahoo and I had one glitch after another so I decided to move it to BlueHost.com which is where I host my site. It was a bit of a challenge to transfer the domain over BUT the good news is that I can host it using my current space so in the end I’ll save about $150 a year. I’m also going to combine the blog and the website into one. Who knows, if it works well for HeartStrings, I might just do the same for my blog and my MaryQuilts.com site.