We leave early tomorrow for GA and won’t be back until New Year’s Day so this will be the last top I quilt in 2009.
It was pieced by Barbara in FL and I hadn’t been able to decide what to quilt on it until last night when I decided that Baptist Fans would look great on it. So I was up very, very early again this morning to load and quilt it.
Unlike the random Baptist Fans from yesterday, these were quilted in rows – both versions are quilted freehand with no marking.
I had a couple questions recently about how I quilt these and although I’ve gone into more detail at this post, I’ll comment again here.
I quilt the fans upside down starting with the smallest arc so if the top is directional, I load it upside down on the longarm and I start at the top left corner. When I’m quilting in rows – I quilt each row all the way across the top from left to right.
In this quilt I tried to keep the same number of arcs in each fan but I don’t usually worry about that as much as filling the space I need to fill — of course, the more evenly I’m quilting the arcs the more likely there are to be the same number of them in each fan — at least in this *orderly* version.
In the random version from yesterday, I still start in the top left corner and quilt the arcs upside down – I work to fill the space, the fans can have a different number of arcs, and I work my way back and forth across the quilt rather than quilting each row from left to right.
This is really a very easy design to quilt — I’m a very average quilter so you know if I can do it YOU can!