It’s been so nice to read all the lovely comments and compliments on the wedding quilt both today and when I posted the photo of the quilting a week or so ago.
Normally I try to respond to most of the comments or at least make a return visit to your blogs if you have them listed but I’m swamped getting ready to go out of town so I’m doing a big group Thank You today.
I always appreciate the comments and encouragement you all give me!
Now back to laundry, and packing.
I don’t often have a problem giving my quilts as gifts or even donating them to strangers but every once in a while I fall in love with one. I’m beginning to think that pink and brown are my colors because the last quilt I struggled to give away was pink and brown too.
And a little closer. To bring this up to the size I wanted, I put a pieced border around all 4 sides and then added a solid border to the sides – I didn’t need any more length.
I rarely do printed labels for personal quilts unless it’s one that Mom and I are gifting together but I did embroider my initials, the year, and a heart that signifies my love for Adam or it could signify their love for each other since it’s a wedding quilt.
Stars & Pinwheels Instructions
The instruction sheet does not include the borders which were an afterthought but there are two EQ drawings on the page with 2 ideas I worked up. In the end, I chose the border version that Adam liked best.
Nothing to show yet but I’m busy binding.
I did however spend the afternoon at the spa. A massage, pedicure, and an hour sitting by the fire reading waiting for my polish to dry really well so I wouldn’t mess it up on the walk home.
I have 2 rows that don’t fit on the design wall and a few more blocks to make but it’s just about ready to be assembled….after the wedding quilt is bound.
Is anyone else looking at the iPads? I ordered one and am anxiously awaiting it’s arrival. I’m not that fond of the netbook for travel (seems slow, I find myself squinting to see the screen) so I’m going to give this a try.
I assembled what I’m now calling a basket-weave QAYG quilt today at our HeartStrings sew-in. I found it much easier and the basket-weave effect is much more prominent in person.
We had a good time and were productive although I still have to do the binding on the green QAYG that I finished assembling yesterday. Here’s a photo of my fellow HeartStringers at today’s sew-in.
My Elna was a little challenged today by the bulk in the seams as I assembled my first set of QAYG blocks but I finally got them together and hopefully figured out a few things along the way.
I worked some back at the hotel to get this point and I just need to bind it tomorrow.
After watching me struggle, Sheree had an idea to offset the seams that we played with tonight and in theory it should create a basketweave effect. Tomorrow we’ll give it a try and see if it works.
And look, it snowed just for me today!
Our actual sew-in isn’t until tomorrow but Sara invited us to a sew-in before the sew-in and we had such a good time. I uploaded some more photos of our day to a HeartStrings album.
Not much excitement going on here today – just packing for the HeartStrings sew-in this weekend in Fremont, Nebraska. I’m heading down on Thursday morning so after trimming and cutting bindings for several quilts that Sheree and Cindy are going to bind for me, I started gathering my supplies.
Since I’m taking the Elna to assemble the QAYG blocks, I set the Brother back up in the sewing room. I got it back from the shop a couple weeks ago but hadn’t bothered to change them out since I knew this trip was coming up. And of course, had to sew some of the Lattice blocks on it to make sure it was working OK.
Normally I don’t piece a quilt on two different machines but since I’m just at the block stage and all the blocks are trimmed to 5.5 inches after piecing it doesn’t make a difference.
Thanks for all the comments on the Wedding Quilt. I also managed to get that trimmed so it will be ready for binding when I get home next week.
Stars & Pinwheels – quilted but not yet bound.
Quilted with a pantograph called Plumage from Willow Leaf Studio
This one is my own design and instructions are available on my MaryQuilts.com site.
So finally instead of talking about getting the wedding quilt actually quilted, I loaded it tonight and have about 1/3 of it finished. I’ll work some more on it tonight and tomorrow and hopefully it will be done by Tuesday – the quilting that is, the binding will have to wait until I get back from Nebraska next Sunday.
I also finally put my design wall back up and have some of my Lattice blocks arranged – I want to get the rest of them pieced before I put them all up so I can get the duplicates distributed well throughout the whole quilt.