Archive for January, 2011
The last NON HeartStrings donation top is done! Pieced by Cheryl and quilted with the pantograph Eb & Flow (chosen because it gives a flag waving effect which I thought was appropriate with this race car/checkered flag top).
Just one more top to quilt to meet my goal for January but not today….maybe I’ll pull out my knitting. I have socks on my needles that I haven’t touched in a month.
Yes, there’s actually something new up there! I put the fan blocks up and cut the setting triangles yesterday before the football began. I’m still working on my January challenge but this will be the first thing I do afterwards.
Here’s a close-up that shows the border fabric better. I might do a thin border between the setting triangles and the print …. maybe gold….maybe the blue…maybe none? We’ll see.
The fan blades were cut with the Dresden Plate Accuquilt GO die.
Two more bound today, both of these log cabin quilts were pieced by MaryH (#25 & #26)
I needed to print more HeartStrings labels and decided I was bored with the two I’d designed back when we started 4 years ago so I made up another version to use. I also made better use of my label fabric by printing more labels per page.
… I would have been very jealous of Keith when he emailed me Thursday night and said he’d spent a couple hours on the beach. He’s home now but he was at a meeting all week ….in Cancun…while we had lows that dipped to MINUS 12!
Of course with him gone I’d slipped back into my sleep all day, work all night routine but I need to switch back to days so while I’ll stay up all night, I won’t go to bed in the morning — we’re going to go out to brunch and run a bunch of errands. I imagine I’ll need an afternoon nap but hopefully I’ll be back to just staying up half the night.
My big task for Friday was quilting this large donation top from Sharon. The pantograph is Halcyon again and it’s #24. With 10 more days left in January, I’m sure to get 5 more tops quilted or quilts bound.
Several people questioned my color cards shown in a previous post so I thought in addition to providing information about them, I’d share my approach to color in quilts.
My quilts usually fall in one of several categories.
Completely scrappy — everything goes — and as long as you use enough different fabrics it all works.
Monochromatic scrappy — I love taking a single color family such as green or red and using a bunch of different different fabrics.
Two color scrappy with a scrappy background
Two color scrappy with no added neutral
Autumn inspired – when I started quilting I lived in Florida and really missed Autumn and I’ve used the colors of Autumn in many of my quilts.
And a more coordinated scrappy color scheme, I will take a border fabric I love and pull just those colors for the quilt.
When it comes time to decide on a color scheme I basically use three tools.
One, I’m always looking at quilts and saving ideas for colors schemes that have nothing to do with the actual pattern of the quilt – I just look and save combinations that I love.
Two, when I see a gorgeous multicolor print – I buy it with the intention of using those colors in a quilt.
And three, I go to my color cards. As I was working on all those bindings — I kept looking at my shelf of blue fabrics and decided that it was time to do something with the aqua blues/greens. The back of the color cards have information about possible combinations and depending on what I have in my stash I can decide which combination to go with. (photo taken from the C & T website)
I did a quick search and it looks like the original cards that I have are no longer available BUT an updated version is coming out in February and available through the C&T website linked above or from Amazon.
My postcard for our family exchange is due soon so I took a break from binding tonight. I didn’t have a lot of time to devote to these this month but I wanted to go with the idea of winter trees. The first one has “snow” beads but I wasn’t crazy about how the white ones looked so for the second one, I used clear beads so there’s a tree with snow and a tree with ice. They’re kind of clunky but they’re done.
And while I still have plenty of work to do to meet my goal for this month, I’m already thinking about February and spending time piecing rather than quilting. I’m going to assemble the Fan blocks (they will be set on point) first but I’ve already starting pulling fabric – my thought is that I’d make both of these quilts using the same color scheme. We’ll see how it goes once I get started.