Archive for July, 2012
I know I just quilted freehand swirls yesterday but today’s dotty top from Tish seemed to want them too!
Now I’m heading out for a walk and the coffee shop for some more knitting — I finished the heels on both pair of socks yesterday (yes I stayed up until 3AM finishing the pink heels). Still lots to do to finish both pair but I’m making progress.
This top was pieced by a group in CA and is one of 8 sent to me to finish and donate. Quilted with freehand swirls.
I tried the fusible tape on a batting today and for me it wasn’t as quick as zigzaging it on the machine — assuming the machine is already set up with thread, the right foot, and for me, the right plate as I tend to use a straight needle plate when I’m piecing.
Having said that — there are many times I pull a donation top and would piece together 2-3 scraps but don’t because the machine is set up for piecing. In those cases I can definitely see using the tape — assuming that it launders well (without pulling apart and creating gaps)….or rather than the tape which is expensive – I plan on trying the fusible interfacing suggested by one of my blog readers and using my GO to quickly cut it into strips.
So I’ll continue to zigzag the batting when I’m piecing multiple batts but will use the fusible when I’m just piecing one.
This week I seem to be obsessed with knitting. I’ve been working on both pair of socks and unfortunately last night made a mess of my heels … I almost NEVER rip out knitting because I find it SO difficult to get my stitches back on my needles correctly so I have a high tolerance for mistakes. However, it became apparent last night that I was going to have to rip out both heels of my purple socks.
I stayed up to 2AM last night ripping, picking up stitches, and then redoing the heels and I’m finishing up the second heel today. As soon as I’m done, I’m going to do the heels on the pink pair while it’s all fresh in my head.
Because I was afraid I could not get both socks back on the same needles and oriented correctly after ripping them out – they’re each on their own needles.
I’ve toyed with audio books a bit in the past – I have this fear of not being able to read one day and decided I needed to train myself to listen to books. I wasn’t very successful but I’m giving it another try with the Overdrive app that lets me download audio books from my local library. I’m listening to a biography of Grace Kelly and I think I’ll actually finish it. I was not able to get through the first book I downloaded because the reader’s voice grated on my nerves so bad.
I got two backs pieced, 4 battings pieced and there’s still a lot left.
I also worked on knitting this evening. I finally got the first heels turned and picked up the gusset stitches but it wasn’t pretty. I didn’t read my instructions as carefully as I should have and it’s been a long time since I turned a heel. I’m going to do the pink pair right away so I don’t make the same mistakes (I hope).
Seems like as soon as I post that I’m going to do something, I change my mind. Today I planned to load and quilt a HeartStrings top and get a couple others trimmed and ready for binding … After way too much time on the computer responding to emails and cleaning up my inbox I went downstairs and looked at the mountain of batting scraps waiting to be sewn into usable pieces.
So that along with piecing a couple backs for small donation tops will be my task for what’s left of the afternoon. Most of these will be sewn together by machine but I did buy some fusible batting tape to try for those times when I just want to make one pieced batting for a specific quilt but don’t want to change the thread in my sewing machine. I think it’s too expensive to use on all my pieced batts.
The quilting on July’s UFO is done — just have to bind it so I’m in good shape to finish it this month. This is my Lattice quilt which was started in March of 2010 — the top was finished in July 2010 and I’ll finally finish it 2 years later. There are instructions for this one on my website.
The pantograph is Lush Leaves by Lorien Quilting
The first of two tops pieced by AnnG is bound and the second is ready for hand stitching.
You’d probably be surprised at how many people tell me I should machine stitch these bindings but in my opinion, even a well stitched machine binding doesn’t look as nice as a hand stitched one and I don’t mind stitching them.
Keith asked me this morning when these were going to be donated … I don’t think he really cares but was wondering when I was going to remove them from the railing so today I folded them up to carry downstairs where they’ll be washed in preparation for donation. Of course, there are more to come including the second one of AnnG’s that needs to be stitched down so it won’t stay clear very long.
I came downstairs after posting the photo of my latest finish and loaded another HeartStrings top — I’m pretty sure this one is from AnnG (brought home from the March sew-in) because she sent me another top with the same fabric in the block centers.
I did switch out the back for something more masculine because I think this one will work well as a QOV and I should have 3-4 to send Alycia in a month or two once I finish all the quilting and binding.
It’s quilted with a swirly version of Dwirling from the Pajama Quilter DVD. I love this on HeartStrings quilts because the texture looks great and it goes quickly — and since I went from having 3 donation tops here to 13 in one week — quick is good!