I’d planned to work on my November UFO yesterday and today but with Keith coming home later tonight I decided to take advantage of him being gone and tie two more quilts before putting the tying table away. Our living room is way too small to leave it up when he’s home.
These two are also from the group in CA and are from the new box of HeartStrings tops that arrived this week.
And just to show the overlap between the blog and 365 project, a photo of all 4 finishes from this week.
November’s UFO will get finished but not before the next trip.
I’ve been intrigued by this photo project since my son did it a few years ago. It’s a big commitment but I blog almost every day so I’m sure I could be successful … especially since I’ve found an iPhone app. How easy is that? One photo a day.
The app – Project 365 Pro
These were like the 3 bears… The thread in the first was too dark, in the second, I liked the thread color but decided the zigzag was too close. The 3rd was just right for me.
All the blocks are done and I’m partially thru stitching down the circles. Planning on tying another top tonight after a break.
I’ve said before that I’m thankful that we have email, video, and FaceTime so we can watch the kids grow up from a distance. We manage 3-4 visits a year but that wouldn’t be nearly enough on its own. Adam sent me a video and photo today of Caleb putting his puzzle together and playing with his engines.
And thanks to Amazon, Caleb’s been getting engines in the mail since our visit. I have a prime membership and am able to ship directly to GA without paying shipping.
These two tied quilts were pieced by a group in CA and I finished them just in time as their next ‘shipment’ arrived yesterday. 11 more HeartStrings tops.
Blue and red center strings are our standard colors and I never get tired of seeing these quilts.
I used pieced backs from Tish on both of these. I chose them carefully, picking ones that had similar shades of red (and blue) so that the binding would look good as I wrapped the backing around to the front … Consistent overall but having the interest of a pieced binding as you looked closer.
Although I work alone most days, I always feel connected to something larger than just me when I’m working on HeartStrings group quilts.
As a rule I dislike machine bindings … I know a lot of you like them and use them but I don’t and I won’t be convinced that they’re better so don’t try (and I won’t try to convince you that hand stitched bindings are better). Luckily there are more than one way to bind and none are right or wrong.
So my one exception to the hand stitched binding rule are tied quilts. For these I pull the backing around to the front and machine stitch them. While some quilters use a straight stitch, I pick a decorative stitch – pretty much the only time I use one of them.
Along with using a decorative stitch, matching my thread to the binding hides any wandering that occurs as I push the quilt thru the machine. You’ll also notice that this binding is wider than usual which helps it sit nice and flat while I stitch it.
And since I’m rolling the backing around, the thread blends there too.
Both quilts I tied last night are now bound. I’ll take photos and share them tomorrow.
I set up the tying table last night and my goal for the next couple days was to tie and bind two HeartStrings tops. It was a perfect activity for a solitary Sunday afternoon and evening. The tying is done and I plan to bind them later today.
This morning however, I made some border blocks for the Bricks and Stones quilt. The beauty of this design is that the border blocks are the same size as the body of the quilt so I’ll sew them together when I’m assembling the top … No borders to add afterwards.
I’ve had some questions about this quilt and there will be an instruction sheet with my measurements when I’m done but I thought I’d answer them here too.
The circles will be fusible appliqué finished with a narrow machine stitched zigzag edge like I did on the DP & Circle quilt
For the border, I’m using my Accuquilt GO Chisel and 3 inch half square triangle dies but if you don’t have the GO or these dies, you can get the same effect as demonstrated below.
To use the Chisel die, you’ll need half your pieces reversed … That just means that you’ll cut half with the fabric right side up and half with it wrong side up.
You could cut 3.5 inch squares paired with a 3.5 inch half square triangle. You’d want to use the same fabric in the half square triangle and the square.
Or if you like to sew squares on corners … You could use a 3.5 x 6.5 inch rectangle and a 3.5 inch square. Sew on line and trim leaving a 1/4 seam allowance, press open. Make sure you make mirror images of these . Looking at my drawing you can see the sewing line is top left to bottom right for one block and bottom left to top right for the other.
Yesterday I finished cutting and organizing binding for the flurry of recently finished tops. I try to always cut the binding although I don’t piece it until I’m ready to sew it on.
I also try to keep up with pulling/piecing backs but you can see I’m behind. The RWB top has a backing pieced but all the others need them. I’ll need to do one a week until I catch up.
Little things like cutting bindings and piecing backs helps when your tops sit around as long as mine do.
I’ve made a start on the Bricks and Stones quilt. The fabric is from a set of fat quarters from Connecting Threads.
I’m missing Rae but my DIL is sending lots of photos …. A few of my favorites.
We also missed FaceTiming with Caleb last night … Got caught up in decorating our small tree, listening to Xmas music and then a movie on TV. I’ll try to catch him tonight. For the record, this is very early for me to have the tree up but we’re gone a lot before Xmas and decided we’d put it up now or else it wouldn’t be worth putting up at all this year.