Let’s see, I had to take a nap this afternoon, to take my walk this evening…
… And to watch the Bolts win tonight but there is some progress being made. The rays are in progress and I’m going to break one of the rules of quilting that says the density of the quilting should be consistent. There won’t be as much quilting in the bottom half of this one but if you can see the sides of the quilt, that’s the spacing I’m going for. I’ve also got to pick out about three partial rows of the spiral because my tension is funky. I must have knocked the thread out of the guide as I wrestled with the quilt. Luckily they’re just short rows and typically it’s easy to pull out stitches where the tension is bad.
I know it’s crazy to put this much quilting in this Heartstrings top but I’m enjoying the challenge and learning my new machine at the same time. A couple issues are the lack of a guide on the walking foot and for some reason, I can’t seem to pick up the bottom thread and bring it to the top before I start a row of quilting. I thought it was the auto thread cutter at first and left the thread longer but still couldn’t pull it up. The needle on this machine is sideways – maybe that’s the reason but I’ve got to say it’s kind of a negative. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still very happy overall with how the machine is performing but this is just odd. I’m going to have to research it a bit to see if it’s me or if it’s just a flaw in the design.
I’m also getting used to the new cabinet. The back extension is a big, big plus as is the tray on the right but there’s not really enough support on the left. I’m probably going to have to find some surface to extend the reach of the cabinet and to support the quilt on that side.