I am usually much more disciplined about focusing on a single piecing project and getting it to a the finished top stage before moving on. I just looked at both my sewing room … where 3 projects are active and one waiting …
After fussing with the layout and pressing of the pyramids yesterday I changed my mind and decided to piece them in rows. For some reason my brain was making it more complicated than it needed to be and I sewed a couple rows to decide on the width and make sure the seams would nestle when I went to sew the rows together. They’re just hanging off to the side for now. As soon as the hexagons are sewn into rows they’ll come off the design wall and the HeartStrings blocks will go up. I’ve done a lot of the cutting for the Pyramid quilt but I’m not sure how many more I need yet so I’ll keep the fabrics out for now. It’s obvious that I’ll get at least 2-3 quilts from this group of leftover fabric and additional strings for the bin too.
It makes more realize (again) I have way too much fabric between Big Canoe and what I’ve collected here and too many kits now too. I’m going to add 2 more goals to my 2017 plan – Rather than monthly goals, I’m setting goals for 2 months at a time so for each 2 months – I’m going to add a goal to piece a top from the string bins and one from one of the kits or precuts ( I have a bunch of jelly rolls, these hexagons, and fat quarter bundles I’ve been collecting) . I don’t have to make the quilt from the kit but I do need to use the fabric…. so that’s 6 of each or 12 tops in addition to other projects I decide to start all while keeping my UFO’s under control. Sounds like it’s going to be a busy year!
I had planned to pin baste and quilt a small top this week but that won’t happen until I get these three a little further along.