This rather ugly rail fence was made in the first months after I started quilting. I got the blocks together and realized it wasn’t large enough and I didn’t like it very much so I picked another pattern and made the homespun quilt shown below which turned out much better. This top has sat in my UFO pile for 6 years and I’m determined to finish it and get it out of my house.
I decided some applique – a bear and trees – might make it cuter for a little boy and make it appropriate to donate. Since I’ve been wanting to try some raw edge applique work on the longarm after I fuse these down, I’m going to stitch around them with the longarm and then do a quick pantograph over the entire quilt. The same bear and trees are repeated at the bottom right edge of the quilt. It won’t be pretty but it will be done!