If you remember in April we had a fireplace guy come out and look at both of our ventless gas fireplaces. The downstairs one didn’t work and the upstairs one stunk! I had done some research and wanted to change the upstairs one to a vented gas fireplace but the guy talked Keith into trying a new set of logs. It was MUCH better with the new logs but I’m very sensitive to odors and still noticed the odor and knew it was not going to work for me so we decided to go ahead and have it converted to a vented fireplace.
At the same time I had the bright idea to just put an electric log set with a heater in the downstairs fireplace. The kids stay down there when they’re visiting and I was never going to feel comfortable with it being functional if they were down there unsupervised BUT I spend a lot of my time downstairs and I wanted the extra heat a fire would provide for when I was sitting and knitting or binding. So we decided on an electric unit – which was much cheaper than converting it to a vented gas unit anyway.
So both units were installed today. We could only turn the upstairs unit on very briefly because the caulking has to set so I’ll show you more about that one in a couple days. I’m not 100% happy with the downstairs electric one because it does have a plexiglass fan for the projection and that does have a little reflection from the lights in the room … but I’m 98% happy with it! It seems like the heater portion is going to do a good job keeping the room warm and I like the look of the “flames”.
Here’s a still photo where you can see the reflection ….
And here’s a video with the lights off.
I’m going to live with it for a little while but I’m considering putting a decorative screen in front of the fireplace thinking that might make the reflection of the lights less noticeable but overall, I don’t think it’s going to really bother me and I’m thrilled to have a working fireplace downstairs!
And just in case anyone is curious what model we bought …