Dumb, dumb, dumb!

I’ve been quilting for almost 20 years and have never cut myself with the rotary cutter until today. I was distracted and the blade jumped up over my ruler edge and cut into my finger. It’s deep but not too long thanks to my fingernail stopping it. As long as I keep bandaids wrapped tightly the bleeding stops but I had to loosen them a couple times to let the fingertip get a little circulation and it bled like crazy both times. I’m going to give it a day or two and hope that I don’t have to go have it looked at.

I had Keith run to the drug store for bandages and finger cots so I can sew without worrying about bleeding through and getting blood on anything and decided that Rainbow String blocks would be the perfect thing to work on … it’s my index finger so I’m going to be slow and clumsy for a while I think. I pulled some greens for the first group of blocks cutting some extra strips from scraps for some variety.

I love this rotating mat for trimming the blocks. Trim on two sides, swing the mat around and cut the other two sides without having to lift the ruler.

I got 16 blocks made and found a leftover one from the last time I’d made these so I have 17 green blocks. I do use multi colored fabrics in these as long as the background is the same color I’m working with.

In case you don’t remember seeing the Rainbow HeartStrings quilts, this is where I’m going with these. I’ll make one or two quilts myself and the extra blocks will go to Maine in September to be joined with other blocks into tops that we’ll assemble and tie for donation. I haven’t decided whether to make the smaller or larger version or one of each. If you’re interested in making your own Rainbow HeartStrings blocks I have some brief instructions on my website.

After I finished with the green blocks, I cut the rest of my bolt of muslin into foundations for the blocks. I’m not making any set amount, I’ll just sew one color until I’m ready to move on to another. I need to start looking for a Joann’s 50% off coupon to buy another bolt of muslin but I’ve got plenty to get me started.

Quilted

I love it when I get more accomplished than planned in a day. I intended to load this one today and quilt it tomorrow but I got it loaded and quilted this evening. I’m pretty sure this 16 patch was pieced by Jackie – it’s #3 of 6 I brought home from the Maine sew-in to quilt and finish. The goal is to get all 6 quilted this month.

Pantograph is call Mermaid Fingers by Apricot Moon designs. It’s the first time I’ve used this one and it’s kind of an elongated, teardrop shaped meandering.

I also managed to make a lot of progress on the Map quilt last night and I did another row of blocks today. Just two more rows to go.

2020 Precut Party

We decided we’d play with precuts again this year. Here’s the list and Stephanie will pull one out of the hat each month. There’s always the option to just choose whatever precut you’d like to work on too.
1) FQs
2) Layer Cakes
3) Jelly Rolls
4) Charm Squares
5) Triangles
6) Panels
7) Kits
8) Bundles
9) Shapes
10) Scraps
11) Skinnies/Strings
12) Blocks/Orphans

January’s precut is bundles and I had leftover fat quarters from the Hunter Star quilt that Mom and I pieced that I wanted to use up so I cut a bunch of tumblers. Add in some fabric from stash and I’m ready to toss them up on the design wall. I could be more random but there are a lot of repeats and I want to make sure I distribute them throughout the quilt.

It’s going to be busy but I love busy scrap quilts.

I sewed a little

I didn’t feel up to much after a difficult night but I did manage to sew a little while. The light/dark HeartStrings blocks are all sewn into rows. Normally I sew these into larger 4 block sections first but it just seemed easier to work on one row at a time tonight.

I also started another hat – Chris wanted me to make him a couple more and since he’s coming back for the children’s Gasparilla parade in a couple weeks I thought I’d get started on the second one.

On my design wall

I kind of dislike assembling quilts back to back – it’s my least favorite part of quilting – but since I finished the Chandelier blocks yesterday, they went up on the design wall as soon as I finished photographing the Hourglass top. I found a turquoise/green fabric in stash that I’m going to use for the setting triangles, a small border, and the binding. I think I bought it at the same time I bought the charm packs although they aren’t from the same fabric line … I just can’t remember for sure since it was a year or so ago. I’m probably going to play a little more with the arrangement of these blocks before I start to assemble them.

Here’s a closer look at the setting triangle fabric.

It’s a start!

I’ve got about half the rectangle blocks made from the leftover Jelly Roll strips from Mom’s Bento Box. I’ll keep working on them a few blocks at a time this week and then get it assembled.

I’ve also got some studying and reading to be done. I reluctantly agreed to serve on the Homeowner’s board last week and have some document review and an online course to complete which I’ll try to get done this week also.

My blocks are done

This is just going to be a small lap size quilt so my Hunter’s Star blocks are done. Mom wanted to try a small runner before committing to anything bigger so the two blocks on the (L) side of mine are hers. The runner will have 3 blocks and a couple small borders and I’ll add one or two borders to mine too. The Accuquilt GO die really does make this one easy.