T-shirt quilt

I’ve been promising Adam a T-shirt quilt for years and had finally made a start on the design and layout about a year and a half ago when he brought me 5 additional shirts that he wanted in the quilt … back to the drawing board I went but the project kept being pushed down the to do list. I decided I HAD to get it made this year.

I laid the shirts out on the floor – some of them have been shifted around since I took the photo. There are 21 shirts and some have larger motifs than others so I need a setting that allows different size shirts.

I used my TouchDraw App to help calculate the width and length to cut the shirts. I’m building one row at a time and you can see the “sashing” doesn’t line up. That’s intentional.

The mess on the floor is slowing becoming a neat stack of different size blocks backed with a fusible, non-woven, lightweight interfacing.

I’ll be working on this one for a while!

6 thoughts on “T-shirt quilt

  1. Wonderful! Great job!

    On Wednesday, June 24, 2020, Making Scrap Quilts from Stash wrote:

    > Mary posted: ” I’ve been promising Adam a T-shirt quilt for years and had > finally made a start on the design and layout about a year and a half ago > when he brought me 5 additional shirts that he wanted in the quilt … back > to the drawing board I went but the project k” >

  2. I so agree on not trying to match the sashing. I love the more random look and it works with the random sizes of the logos. Not multiples or anywhere close. I can’t wait to see this quilt.

  3. I have made two t-shirt quilts, one with all the same size blocks and one random. I liked the way the random one looked much better. They are time consuming that’s for sure!

  4. I’ll be following this topic. I hate making t shirt quilts and my family does not believe me. SO I have bags for 7! Quilts that have been hanging around way too long. I have finally disassembled the fronts and am ready to size them up.

  5. When my niece gave me her shirts there were so many . I didnt want to leave any out so I made them part of the backing. The quilt was big enough for her queen size bed.

Leave a Reply