I’ve got a couple more weeks in June so I’m thinking about what I want to accomplish in the next two weeks.
First up will be to finish the Layer Cake Hourglass top and the current Ripple afghan.
I’d also like to get 2-3 tops quilted – maybe a couple HeartStrings Happy Block tops and one my Aunt sent me to quilt.
I’ve got the Sashed Tumbler quilt to bind.
And of course, I’m already thinking about my next piecing project. I’ve got some bright scraps in a bin that I want to use but I haven’t decided what to make with them yet and since I’ve got a lot I’d like to accomplish, I’m going to go for something simple I think – I’ve got a Jelly Roll with reds and neutrals and I think I’ll make a half Log Cabin quilt. This layout is typically called a Bento Box and I made this one back in 2007 from my red and purple scraps. It was given to Becky and I still see it from time to time although I’ve made them lots of other quilts since then.
I don’t have instructions for this one on my website but I did come across these instructions a couple months ago when I was searching for Jelly Roll Quilts. I haven’t used the instructions myself but they look pretty detailed and easier than the assembly method I used for the one above!
Chris texted me last night wanting to know if everything was okay because I hadn’t posted in several days – not like me I know but my trip Sunday was a challenge and I arrived at Mom’s tired!
It was a quick visit with some errands Monday and lunch with Kevin, sewing or I should say prepping on Tues and Wed since we cut out a quilt from a kit and started doing some tracing and fusing for one of Mom’s quilts. Unfortunately, our fusible web wasn’t cooperating – the batiks don’t seem to like Wonder Under so we had to scrap everything and we’ll get back to work on it my next visit. At least we got all the appliqué reversed on template plastic and some of it traced onto the Steam a Steam 2 (after testing it of course!).
I didn’t take a single photo of the scenery – it’s lovely here in the Shenandoah Valley but I can’t drive the mountains roads and snap photos too!
I also didn’t take any photos of Mom but I was looking at some old ones and came across this one of Mom with Chesty – we were living in Marietta at the time so it’s about 15 years ago … and look, we were working on quilts that visit too! We’re both so thankful that we’ve had this shared interest for the last 19 years!
It’s not assembled yet but I’m making progress on the Layer Cake Hourglass blocks. I don’t talk a lot about my health here and I’m not complaining but one of the things I struggle with post surgery and with the suppression therapy is difficulty focusing … it’s not that I never made mistakes before but I can tell you, I spend more time with my seam ripper these days.
I snapped a final photo of Maureen’s Churn Dash quilt before packing it up – quilted, bound, washed, and ready to use!
I had several questions about the Sashed Tumblers – I’ve got some quilt notes on the website if you’re curious about how it was pieced. If I made it again, I’d use full tumblers on the top and bottom rather than the half tumblers – in fact, I gave that half tumbler die away right after making this top! It’s not hard to bind the irregular tumbler edges.
Now for something gross – we’ve had an invasion of flies the last couple days … ugh!! We had our pest control company out – we’re not sure what’s causing it but we’ll have them come back out and check under the house just in case something crawled there and died. There’s no odor now but we did have something stinky when we got back from the Hatteras trip – it faded really quickly and I’d wondered if it was just from the house being shut up and the A/C being put low while we were gone.
The good news is that a) there are way fewer today than yesterday and b) since I’m leaving Sunday morning it will be Keith’s problem to figure out what the problem is! Luckily, they’re mostly concentrated in one room because it’s bright and sunny there and they’re gathering near the windows. I put some fly paper up and we’re keeping the fly swatter handy but we’re also closing off as much of the house as we can!!
This Sashed Tumbler is a UFO from 2013! I’m glad to be on my way to finishing it finally. I almost quilted freehand swirls on it but it’s for donation and I wanted it nice and cuddly so I wanted something a little less dense … I used the Steam pantograph – again! I like how it follows the lines of the quilt.
One thing I love about my quilt photos through the years is that I can tell where they were made from the photos. I’m feeling a little nostalgic for Big Canoe this summer – you can see from the photo of the finished top, this one was pieced there.
The binding on the Churn Dash was finished last night, this one quilted today, so all that’s left on my list to do before my trip Sunday is to start assembling the HourGlass blocks!
I got a backing made and a top loaded on the longarm but it will wait until tomorrow for quilting … I trimmed my sister’s churn dash and have the bright, scrappy binding machine stitched and now I’m being really, really nice and hand stitching it down for Mom!
It’s a long skinny quilt but that’s what Maureen wanted – I won’t call her picky but she knows exactly what she wants so a long skinny quilt is what she’s getting!!
I don’t have instructions posted on this one but the block size is 9 inches ( 9.5 inches with seam allowances) and the sashing is cut 2.5 inches. There’s a small border also cut 2.5 inches. Eventually, I’ll get some brief notes up on the website for it.